CONGRATULATIONS! You have been selected in an audition!
- You have not been told of "Character" you will be playing. Or may be, broadly told of of a "sales girl" or a "brother" or a "lover". Beyond that nothing. The direction team has other important issues to tackle
- Even if you know the "character" you would be playing, it may change on the last day
- Script? No way! There may be changes in the script due to numerous reasons. You are not Salman Khan or Priyanka Chopra charging a hefty $ 2 million that you get a script 6 months in advance.
- You are getting tense as the shoot date is approaching. How to do the script analysis, scene analysis, character analysis and set the objectives for each units?
- What happened to all that you have learnt in an acting institute on Stanislavsky and Meisner techniques, paying 2 to 4 lacs and spending precious 2 years?
- You ring frantically to your coordinator or the casting director for script and get a standard answer-
- Now you are really getting worked up. "How can I memorize my lines if long?". "In how many scenes I'm in?"
- Then you wishfully hope, the director will tell you everything during rehearsals.
Unless it is a feature film with a good director who believes in shaping up even new artists,
the chances are (especially in TV serials) that neither there will be rehearsals before a shoot nor he/she has time nor probably he/she knows various options for a role.
However, he/she may welcome if you can give that option by showing him different shades of a character.
What's the solution?Here we go!
you have seen. For example, if your character is of a "sales man" and If you have seen more than one sales man then you can create different profiles-physical and mental in detail.
So, what to do?
3/ In such a situation your mental health should be in a top gear. For an exceptional performance,
you need to click your brain into higher gear by focusing on new ideas, images and underlying meaning
rather than on the sound of a word, in this example "lover"
Let the ideas flow
- Make a circle around the profile of a character, say "Lover"
- Jot down any thoughts,feeling and associations you can think of about that character
- Then record these thoughts by circling them and connecting with the character "Lover"
- Now what you have created is the different attitudes exhibited by a character who is a "lover"
Chart for creating a character
6/ Here I must point out that you have to prepare your character in all the attributes
e.g. an arrogant person will have an arrogant voice, stiff neck and walk and so on
It is necessary to know how to play the different types of attitudes and emotions exhibited by people.
This you can read and practice from the following post