Who says you can't be a Bollywood actor by watching and learning from All Time Best Bollywood Films?
You Can for Sure!
How to Learn From Great Hindi Movies and Enter Bollywood
It’s not that without watching Hollywood Classics and their great Actors, you can’t learn and enter our Bollywood. The cine world of Bollywood has also produced some great movies from which actors can learn the fine craft of acting.
5 Cheapest Ways
- What is the objective of the film? What the film wants to show to the audience and how the film achieves it?
- Who are the characters in the film and what is individual’s objective and how he/she archives it?
- Identify a character which suits best to your physical and mental profile.
- Try to bring that character into you rather than mimicking him/her. Leave that part of a character which is not congruent (matching) to you.
- Practice and practice in front of a full size mirror or with friends. Do not make a mistake of copying an actor from a film, for example, do not mimic Veeru or Thakur from “Sholey”. You remain what you are and try to be Veeru or Thakur.
I categorize most of the Bollywood movies broadly as “Masala” movies and the “Others”. I’m sure you know what “Masala” ones are and you hardly learn any acting craft through them.
- Boy meets Girl, at some point they fall in love. The society or families are against them, but at the end they either overcome all obstacles to be together forever or they fail and die together.
- A common man rises against a fierce evil force - be it the corrupt government, a
gangster, or plotting friends or family - he fights them and emerges victorious to live happily forever. deadly
All these "Masala" movies almost invariably contain - drama, suspense, action, comedy, romance, tragedy, satire, social message - all combined into a fun filled 3 hours.
Films For Our Learning Purpose
Get Them NOW!
These “Good” films fall under different genre and here are my picks for actors to learn:
However, there is more to Bollywood than just "Masala" movies. Bollywood has also given all time masterpieces in both mainstream cinema and independent movies. If you really want to get a taste of Bollywood, you should pick at least one movie from each genre.
This would be my list:
Genre and Films
2. Mother India
3. Mera Naam Joker
Epic / History:
2. Gandhi (film)
3. Earth (1998 film)
1. Silsila (film)
2. Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
Thriller / Suspense;
1. Woh Kaun Thi??
2. Hundred Days
3. Johnny Gaddaar
1. Bandit Queen
2. Paan Singh Tomar (film)
2. Hera Pheri (2000 film)
3. Bheja Fry (film)
There aren't great action movies in Bollywood in real sense. However, these are some recent movies I appreciate which have decent action in them.
- Agent Vinod (2012 film)
- Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1 & Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 2
- Madras Café
All time Bollywood Classics “A Must” for actors
2. Mother India
5. Andaaz Apna Apna
7. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
Some other learning films from relatively recent times
3 idiots (2009)