|The World of Bollywood|
Bollywood is known as a nickname for the city of MUMBAI, the center of the Indian film industry. Bollywood movies are extremely popular in India and abroad but are relatively new for foreigners. However, if you want to become famous in Bollywood, you must take a slightly different approach than in Hollywood to achieve stardom.
- Talk with other Bollywood actors and actresses. Ask them how they made it into Bollywood and what approaches they use to get their parts in Bollywood films.
- Learn Hindi if you do not know it already. The Hindi language is the main language used in Bollywood films. Foreigners often get a part as a dancer or extra without following Hindi, but the ability to act in Hindi is crucial.
- Learn how to lip-synch songs, act out different scenes and dance Bollywood moves. You must know how to do all three of these activities, making it into a Bollywood film. Watch some Bollywood movies to understand the nature of the activity.
- Check out your family and its ties to the Bollywood film industry. You might have an uncle, niece or cousin that has made it into the industry, and they might lead you to the right connection. If you do not have any family members in Bollywood then start out as an extra.
- Make an audition tape. Start submitting your tape and head shots for Bollywood castings and movies. Get used to rejection and try not to take it personally. Keep submitting and you will most likely become noticed.
- Find an agent/ coordinator that deals with Bollywood movies and ask them if they will represent you and help you find jobs. It might take some time before you find the right match in an agent.
- Foreigners, consider acting in independent or art films filmed in the US or the UK. Movies like "Bride and Prejudice" and "Monsoon Wedding" are Bollywood/Indian inspired style films, but the primary language is English.