But Do an Actor Really Need An Artist Card?
Artist Card issued by supposedly only authentic 'CINTTA' is primarily for offering a protection to an artist's interest like payments, working hours etc. They usually cannot guarantee any role or any kind of job. Or perhaps when a production house requires a large number of junior artists for a crowd scene, CINTAA or Chitapat Artists associations like that of 'Shin Sena' may supply them.
In all other cases, those who ask for an artist card, 90% are Fake, with an objective to make money from ignorant aspiring actors
The other aspects of my logic behind being skeptical is as follows:
- Artist card may be useful for junior artists, who is not professionally trained to play big and have NO ambitions to become a "Star" in the future. Either they have no speaking lines or may be one or two, only. They may or may not be well educated and are usually from a community of actors which require just a "job" and a "living" rather than to be a successful "actor" and a "Star"
- The casting directors may not consider you for a role if you are a registered junior artist with an artist card due to an apprehension of your refusing to work overtime or in case of any dispute of payments or other issues
, may go to the union for Redressal of your complaints, and may create problem during a shoot.
- An educated aspiring actor, who is professionally trained, without union affiliation or with an artist card, therefore, may stand a better chance and may get a better role compared to a union artist card holder.
- Many industry people may not agree with my opinion as this could be a source of livelihood for many. My apology to them
However, this is NOT a rule. There are examples of junior artists who climbed the ladder of success and have become a good actor.The best is to decide what are your priorities and then act.
The thumb rule is any casting director, coordinator or a production house asking for an artist card to give you a role or a break in the film and ready to issue you an artist card with a payment is 100% Fake
However, as many of the visitors of this blog have requested me to provide information on Artist Card, I'm mentioning the details below with a warning in the above paragraph:
Artists' & Actors Unions in India who issues Artist Cards:
Though I have selected few with the best of my knowledge out of hundreds, you are advised to check the credentials, before you pay.
Especially, DON'T PAY anything if after applying online with the portfolio you get a mail confirming your selection without your audition and then if they ask you to pay Rs. 3000 or more. They may be fraudsters and cheats.
- 5 Passport size Photographs
- Copy of any one out of PAN CARD, RATION CARD, PASS PORT, DRIVING LICENCE, RESIDENTIAL PROOF, VOTER I CARD etc.
1. CINTAA **One of the main artists’ and actors' unions in India is the Federation of Western India Cine Employees. The FWICE is a film industry worker’s union based in Mumbai, India.
* However, their requirements for an artist registration are a bit tough, like experience in films and serials. Call them to find out the details or visit their website.
Address: 113, 1st Floor, Kartik Complex New Link Road, Andheri (W) 400053 Mumbai
I would recommend and prefer artist card issued by Strong Political Unions in Mumbai, which in my opinion, cannot be refused by any casting director/ production house, due to backlash by that union.
2 SHIV SENA CHTRAPAD SHAKHAFees: Rs. 2000 (However, check the current rate)
G 9, Nootan Nagar Primises CHS,
Gurunanak Road, Bandra (West), Mumbai
Phone: 26557001; 26404712
3. MAHARASTRA NAVNIRMAN CHITRAPAT KARMCHARI SENA
102, 1st Floor, Umesh Chambers, Telligali
Besides Chatwani Hall,
Andheri (East), Mumbai 400069
Phone: 65147999; 26848631
Fees: * About Rs. 5000 to Rs. 7000 (Check)
4. BJP KAMGAR MORCH CHITRAPAT UNION
Opened in 2014. The office is in Dadar (East) near Ranjeet Studio.
BJP office of in Dadar. Contact No. 24183290; 24183141; 24150462
Check with BJP Office, the address of Chitrapat Union.
BJP Website: www.mumbaibjp.org
2. IFAA Delhi
They claim, the association is not interested in the larger profile, but in the best profile. The association profile is purely its member's profile and every member is directly or indirectly connected to its activities. IFAA is a leading voice for Indian culture. IFAA is a tireless advocate for Indian culture and the development of India’s audio visual industries. Our union and members lobby for regulation and government policies that protect our culture and encourage audio visual production in all genres, expanding work opportunities for Indian performers.
Please Check. Conflicting reports!
D3/73, Four Bungalows, MHADA, Andheri (w), Mumbai - 400053
Film Productions Roddey
Phone: 022-26303215, Mobile: 9870432013 - 9022164200 (Email: email@example.com)