|A cut-throat competition in actor's market for Bollywood and TV serials|
|How to Market yourself as an actor FREE|
Yes, they are Smart and Successful Actors! Why?
B. They focused on a single factor; "how to get chances" rather than dreaming foolishly to be an actor and running from pillar to post without a solid strategy
C. They realized apart from an excellence in acting craft, the success of this factor depends on their marketing strategies and promotion being acting a "Business"
To be an actor is a business and any actor who doesn't realize this, irrespective of an excellence in the acting craft, will surely fail!
Actor marketing is defining who you are, building relationships with people interested in you, and convincing them you are the one they need.
If you’re dreaming and desperately want to be a Bollywood or a TV serial actor, and short of money, here are some inexpensive ways you can work on your actor marketing!
1. Be sure your portfolio photos are working for you, not against you.
Cost: Rs.0 to Rs. 5000 for 10
Many of aspiring actors spend a lot of money on headshots (Portfolio) where unfortunately though they look glamorous but not what truly they are. The result is obvious- they are selected for an initial audition based on the headshot, they are rejected because when they enter
The solution: Get your pictures clicked to look what you exactly are-neat and simple and of good quality. Don’t give a shock to a casting director by looking different than your headshots. You even use your own cell phone which has a good camera.
Choosing your best looking shot is great if you want to get a date but, if you want to get a role in a film, choose a shot that reflects the roles you’re most
2. Your résumé (Online and others)
Your résumé works for you to show people whether you have experience, do you have other talents like swimming, dancing, singing, martial arts, languages, accents etc.
3. Start a website!
Actors need a website that shows their marketing materials and links to all of their social media accounts. Don’t put off building your website because you can’t afford one.
4. Market and promote yourself on social media accounts.
Do you have social media accounts on Faceb
Do they feature one headshot you chose to consistently promote your brand across platforms?
Do you have professional social media headers?
A compelling bio with keywords?
These things cost nothing and are necessary to effectively use social media to advance your career.
(Warning for Facebook: Don’t get fooled by “likes” by your friends. They are not casting people. You may get wrong signals and may get addicted to
5. Build and Track your relationships.
Cost: Rs.0 (Except travel)
Remember, marketing is about building and nurturing relationships!
- Identifying production houses, TV channels like sonny, star plus, casting directors, cinematographers and others related to the industry and running after them to submit your resume and headshots is a MUST. Read relevant posts on this subject from this blog
- A follow up with a thank you mail, card, birthday or anniversary wish is always welcomed and help people to remember you among the countless crowd of aspiring actors. For email, it’s necessary that your email page is properly designed with your headshot and a great header which should remain constant. You don’t need relationships with thousands of people for your career take off. Focus your marketing efforts
6. Expand your network of contacts.
Get off the couch or gossip corner and find a group of actor’s, casting directors, director’s hang out places in Mumbai or in your town and gate crash to network with! Become extrovert and aggressive if you want to be an actor! Read this post
Do you require lots of money for the above? NO
So, that money is no longer an excuse, get started!
- Read relevant posts from this blog or
- Join us and become an actor cum marketing expert
(Author; Had been a marketing wizard for 30 years apart from an award winning actor, an acting coach and a short film maker)